2ID : Soldiers & Families : Newcomers



Bringing Your Family

All Soldiers, married and/or with dependents, assigned to 2ID are eligible to apply for Command Sponsorship, a program which allows your Family to reside with you in the Republic of Korea. Preparation of paperwork and processing of application can take time so plan ahead. Command Sponsorship requires you to commit to a two or three-year tour depending on assignment.

For more detailed information see Command Sponsorship.

Bringing Your Pets

Although you are welcome to PCS with your pets, they must be authorized on your orders. If traveling with pets, you must fly into Incheon Airport. Pets are not allowed on the bus from the Airport to the Replacement Center in Yongsan, where you will report to upon arrival. We recommend going through your sponsor to arrange transportation. Transporting your pet(s) in and out of the country is at your own expense.

The 106th Medical Detachment offers Veterinary service to those PCSing with Pets.


It is vital for us to let you and your Family knows what to expect prior to arriving in Korea to meet your needs so you can make informed decisions. Once you are on orders for 2ID, make sure to Request a Sponsor.

Packing List

  • Alarm Clock (110 Volt - Same as US)
  • Uniforms (ACUs with patrol cap, summer PTs)
  • Civilian Attire (must comply with the 2ID Warrior Standards)
  • Running Shoes
  • Reflective belt
  • Personal hygiene kit
  • 30 days of prescription medicine

If Soldiers arrive between October and April, they must bring their complete winter PT uniform (including gloves and fleece cap) and the appropriate winter attire (field jacket or Gortex jacket) in order to accommodate the cold weather. It gets very cold in Korea.


Civilian employees should have a valid multiple-entry visa issued by the Korean Embassy or Consulate. The employee or dependents must obtain a multiple-entry visa within their initial 90 days in country. Your local ACS or Legal Office can provide you with applications and more information.

Family members arriving in Korea with their spouses must have a valid passport for entry. Immigrations will authorize the 90-day tourist visa to the Family member. When the Soldier arrives at their post, he or she must check with their local ACS for procedures on how to apply for a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) stamp authorizing the Family member to stay beyond the 90-day tourist visa. For more information, visit Frequently Asked Question - A-3 Visa and SOFA Stamp.

I'm calling from
Current Korea Time:    07:06 on April 17, 2014
Area I (ACS)730-3107
Area II (Legal Assistance)738-8111
Area III (ACS)753-8401

Command-Sponsored Family members can obtain a no-fee passport from their losing unit and can apply for a multiple-entry visa prior to or within 90 days after arriving in country. This process can take up to three months.

Soldiers will not need a passport for direct travel between the U.S. and Korea on orders or on leave. A personal passport must be used for travel to or layovers at any other location while on vacation.

Required Documents

  • Common Access Card (CAC)
  • 10 copies of your orders assigning you to 2ID
  • 10 copies of your approved DA31
  • Medical records
  • Dental records
  • Copy of your 348-E signed by your previous commander (military driver’s license)
  • Your civilian driver’s license
  • All receipts over $75 from the start of your travel to Korea
  • Clearing papers from losing organization (required for housing)

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)

Upon arrival to Korea Soldiers will not be authorized BAH at the without dependent rate. If you have dependents, and you have questions about your BAH, please visit your local finance office. Those with dependents should bring their marriage certificate, lease, and/or birth certificates of their children.


Upon arrival, go to the U.S. Forces Korea Reception Center located at the west end of airport on the same floor as baggage claim – Gate 14. The Soldier on duty will assist you with transportation, lodging and signing you in from leave.

Prior to departure from Incheon Airport, make sure that the DA Form 31 (Leave Form) has been signed at the Reception Counter so you are not charged unnecessary leave.

Emergency Procedures

Contact the Movement Team to report any delays by calling or email.

I'm calling from
Current Korea Time:    07:06 on April 17, 2014

Taxis at the Airport

Refrain from taking a taxi upon arrival in Korea. Free transportation is provided from the airport by the Reception Center and you will NOT be reimbursed if you take a taxi from the airport. If however, you are arriving with pets you may opt to use a taxi. Be advised that you may pay around $130 for the trip from the Airport to the Replacement Center in Yongsan. Ask the USFK Reception Center for assistance if you must take a taxi on post since only certain taxis can enter the post.


Upon arrival to the Replacement Company, Soldier of the rank of E7 and above will stay at the Dragon Hill Lodge for one night, and all E6 and below will reside at Yongsan Replacement Center Barracks. The following morning you will report to the Reception Center for mandatory briefings. All 2nd Infantry Division Soldiers will then be identified and separated for transport via bus to the Warrior Readiness Center (WRC) at Camp Hovey.

Accompanied with Family

Generally Command-Sponsored Families are not authorized concurrent travel. Soldiers arriving with Families will be linked with either their sponsor or a unit representative to secure government quarters or off-post housing. After housing is secured the Family will remain in housing and the Solider must then report to WRC for in processing.

For more information about securing an Accompanied Tour see the Command Sponsorship Page.


Unaccompanied Soldiers will be transported to WRC to complete in-processing, after which they will be released to their units to secure permanent lodging.


After arriving at your unit, you will probably have a lot of questions about the base, facilities, and about Korea. Take some time and look through the links below to help orient you to your new assignment.