Before you depart (Military Members)

There are a few things you need to know before you depart for Korea.

All incoming personnel (with the exception of Advanced Individual Training Soldiers), must ship ALL CTA-50 via Unaccompanied Baggage. You will need this equipment upon arrival to be ready to Fight Tonight.

Military Packing List:

  • ACUs (4 sets)
  • 4 sets of OCP/ACU
  • Patrol Cap
  • 2 pair of Boots (Bring Intermediate Cold Weather boots during winter.)
  • IPFU (complete sets, Summer and Winter)
  • ASUs, including all awards and decorations
  • Dress shoes
  • Beret
  • Civilian attire
  • Personal hygiene items
  • Medication (30 days), if prescribed

Required Documents

  • Common Access Card (CAC)
  • 10 copies of your orders assigning you to 2ID
  • 10 copies of your approved DA31
  • Medical records
  • Dental records
  • Copy of your 348-E signed by your previous commander (military driver’s license)
  • Your civilian driver’s license
  • All receipts over $75 from the start of your travel to Korea
  • Clearing papers from losing organization (required for housing)

Staying Connected
To minimize delays in your ability to start working upon arrival at your new assignment, Warriors must be ready to communicate. The ability to log into your computer/workstation and use your Outlook e-mail account is key. Click Here for instructions on how to properly prepare for continuing communication as you prepare to PCS to Korea.

Mandatory Training
Prior to arrival in theater, all personnel (PCS, TCS, or TDY) must complete USFK Theater Specific Mandatory Training to ensure the complete understanding of policies and standards in preparation for duty in Korea. Upon completion, print and/or save your certificates so that they are readily available. Click here for a list of all mandatory training.

Civilians must have a valid passport for entry into Korea. Command sponsored family members can obtain a no-fee passport from their losing unit. Soldiers do not need a passport when traveling between the U.S. and Korea on orders for PCS or leave; however passports are required for personal travel outside of Korea.

Republic of Korea Immigration will authorize a 90-day tourist visa for civilian employees and dependents; however, all civilians must obtain a multiple-entry visa issued by the Korean Embassy or Consulate within 90 days of arrival to Korea. This application process can take up to three months. Additionally, civilian employees and all dependents must obtain a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) stamp authorizing their stay beyond the 90-day tourist period. Your local ACS or legal office can provide you with applications and more information.

No-Fee Passport
Once your family has been approved for Command Sponsorship and your Soldier’s PCS Orders include each dependent’s name, immediately apply for a No-Fee Passport through your losing installation Military Personnel Division (MPD) Personnel Processing Branch. The processing time is generally six to eight weeks, so begin the process as soon as orders for command sponsorship are approved. Contact your local personnel office for the proper forms and information. Do not depart your losing installation without receiving the no-fee passport.

Non-U.S. citizens must apply for a country of origin passport. Documents must be original or certified copies.

Driving Privately Owned Vehicles (POV)
The following personnel (and their U.S. State licensed dependents age 18 or older) are authorized to obtain a POV License after passing the USFK written exam:
• Accompanied personnel with Command-Sponsored family members
• Personnel in a joint domicile status authorized a POV on their orders.
• Soldiers Sergeant First Class (E-7) or above.
• DA civilians in the grade of GS-5 or above and USFK technical representatives.
• Invited contractors* who have SOFA privileges.
• Personnel who have a letter of approval by the USAG Humphreys Commander for exception to policy.
*Invited contractors, their employees (including Koreans) and dependents of contractors who operate a POV in the Republic of Korea, must first obtain a valid ROK Driver's License. To obtain a ROK driver's license, you should have a valid U.S. State driver's license and USFK Form 700-19A-R-E.

Non-Command Sponsored service members, E-6 and below, require approval from the first O-5 in their chain of command IAW USFK REG 190-1 dated 10 May 2012.

Command sponsored families are authorized to register one POV on post and may request an exception to policy with concurrence from the first O-6 in their chain of command and approval from the garrison commander.

Licensing Requirements
All SOFA status USFK military personnel, USFK civilian appropriated and non-appropriated employees, USFK technical representatives, and family members of the aforementioned personnel must possess a USFK Form 134EK (USFK Motor Vehicle Operator’s Permit) to drive POVs on U.S. installations and Korean roadways.

IAW USFK REG 190-1: All SOFA status military personnel and their family members, civilian appropriated and non-appropriated employees and their family members, and technical representatives and their family members who desire to drive in the ROK and who are qualified under paragraph 2-1d, may use a valid U.S. state driver's license or a valid international driver’s permit as a temporary permit for 30 days after their initial arrival in the ROK to drive POVs on both USFK installations and Korean roadways.

Motorcycle owners may obtain a 10-day temporary license in order to ride to and attend a MSF course – if the owner is already in possession of a valid motorcycle operator’s license or motorcycle endorsement issued by the civil authorities of a country or by a U.S. State or territory. The 10-day temporary license may also be issued five days before the start of the MSF course or five days prior to the course.

Consult USFK Regulations 190-1 for additional information on Licensing and Operating Requirements for POVs, Implied Consent Provision, Learner’s Permit, Personal chauffeurs, Business chauffeur, Bus License.

Was this page helpful?